Things to do in Chamberlain and Oacoma
This is the ultimate ‘To Do’ list for your vacation. You can check them off one by one. Do you know of something we missed? We would love to hear about your favorite ‘to do’ in our area.
- 4th of July Firework Display- One of a kind firework display over the Missouri River. “Rock the Bluffs”
- Akta Lakota Museum- Art, artifacts and educational displays in the museum’s collection honor the proud Lakota (Sioux) heritage and culture. The museum also houses a Collector’s Gallery, which gives local artists a venue to display and sell their work. Relax next to the fountain and listen for the bell chimes.
- Al's 5¢ Coffee- That’s right just 5¢!
- Al's Pie- Al’s famous Lemon Cream Cheese Pie goes good with a cup of coffee.
- Al's Buffalo Burger- Nothing beats a good burger.
- American Creek Beach- relaxing in the sun, take a swim or build a sand castle. The beach is located next to the park with picnic shelters, showers, and a playground. Perfect for a family retreat.
- American Creek Marina Rentals- Rentals include Pontoon boats, fish or ski boat, kayaks, waverunners, miscellaneous bike rentals and campers. Call 605-234-5151 for info!
- Antiques- Visit one of our unique antique shops. Locations in Chamberlain are Downtown Antiques, Fabulous Finds, FB Antiques,Then & Again. Antique shops in Oacoma include The Old West Trading Post and Bullseye Collectibles and Antiques.
- Archery Range- Try your luck at the Missouri Bluffs Archery Club. Not a shooter, follow the course for a scenic hike through the hills.
- Barger Park View- Barger Park offers a great view of the river. Located right along the bike/walking trail, it is a great rest stop to put up your feet, throw a penny in the fountain, or sit back and watch time go by.
- Bike Tours- Cedar Shore Resort hosts an annual bike tour in June. Chamberlain- Oacoma was also host to the Tour de Kota, Argus Leader bike tour.
- Bike Trail- Follow the bike trail from Barger Park to Roam Free Park. One great view to the next!
- Bird Watching- Enjoy seeing one of our 414 species of birds. We have everything from bald eagles, to loons to robins. See how many you can spot!
- Boating- The Missouri River is great for boats. Wide open rivers allow plenty of room for water sports, fishing, or a leisure cruise along the banks. Local boat ramps located at American Creek Campground, American Creek Marina, Dude Ranch and Cedar Shore Resort.
- Bowling Dome- Try your hand at a game of ten pin. Call 605-234-6802 for more info!
- Breakfast- Are you an early riser? Many of our fast food restaurants serve breakfast on the go. Have time to enjoy it? Sit down and eat at one of or fine restaurants.
- Buffalo at Al's- Take your picture next to the world famous buffalo.
- Burning Brule- Travel down the river and see the “smoking” bluffs.
- Busted Nut Pizza Challenge- come take the pizza challenge at the Busted Nut Bar & Grill.
- Campgrounds- Stay at one of our many campgrounds to enjoy the great outdoors.
- American Creek Campground 605-234-5151
- Cedar Shore Resort 605-734-6376
- Keiner’s Kampground 605-734-6826
- Oasis Campground 605-234-6959
- Cedar Shore Resort- Enjoy a river view room, supper at Bridges Bar & Grill, sit on the deck with a glass of fine wine. For reservations, call 605-734-6376 or visit www.cedarshore.com.
- Chamberlain High School Native American Club Powwow- This recently established club will be hosting yearly powwows and events.
- Churches- The area is home to 9 churches. Many different denominations are represented in our area. Visit our list by clicking here.
- Crazy Days- Every summer is celebrated with this retail extravaganza. It is a great opportunity to get in on some good deals!
- Dakota Cowboy Heritage Festival- This annual event brings in the authenticity of our area. With riding, roping, and fast draw demonstrations, this event gives you the true cowboy heritage.
- Downtown Shopping- What can be said about our Main Street? Unique & specialty shopping. It is an opportunity to see real hometown shopping & service. We are proud of our diverse stores and goods provided. To view our shopping directory, click here.
- Dude Ranch- This is a great place to drop in your boat, camp, swim, or spend the day fishing. Plenty of shoreline and a beautiful backdrop.
- Fishing- Fishing off the boat docks at Cedar Shore Resort or the 2 fishing piers in town. One is located at the American Creek and the other at Marina Bay. For more fishing information, click here.
- Fishing Tournaments- Chamberlain is known for its’ great fishing. We are proud to host many tournaments every summer. Visit http://gfp.sd.gov/ for more information on fishing tournaments.
- Flea markets- Annual fleas markets are a delightful way to spend the day looking for hidden treasures.
- Fossils- The area is home to many fossils. “Lucky Mo” was found here along with many ancient turtles and marine creatures. The SD School of Mines has a “dig” every summer in our area.
- Gazebo @ Lakeshore Motel- Sitting in the gazebo, facing the river, watching the sun set, nothing is more romantic or relaxing.
- Geocaching- use your GPS to find treasures all over the area. Go to geocashing.com and type in zip code 57325.
- Golden Buffalo Casino- Just 20 minutes north from interstate in Lower Brule, it is a good place for supper, gambling, and entertainment. Call 605-473-5577 for more information.
- Golf Course- The Chamberlain Country Club offers you nine holes of pure fun. With golf cart and club rentals, you don’t have to worry if yours are at home. Stop into the new clubhouse after the game for a drink and some dinner. For additional information, call 605-734-4451.
- Gun Show- The Chamberlain-Oacoma Gun Club hosts an annual gun show. Stop in to see new, old, and unusual guns. Contact Terence Hickey at 605-734-6097 for more info!
- Hiking along the river- With miles of shoreline, the river offers and excellent marker for a hike. The bluffs along the sides provide homes to many birds and foliage. Enjoy the beauty of nature and remember “Don’t take anything, Don’t leave anything”.
- Horse Riding- Many state parks have trails for riding. Visit http://gfp.sd.gov/ for trail info.
- Horse Shows- The Annual Brule County Horse Show is held in June.
- Horseshoes- Try your luck with a game of barnyard golf.
- Hot Rod Car Show- For over 25 years the classics have been lining up on our Main Street. The mayor picks his favorite, why not pick yours?
- Hot Tub Suites- There are several in the area and a great way to relax privately after a busy day. View our hotel directory.
- Hunting services- Whatever you’re looking for we got it. Pheasants, turkeys, deer, geese, and prairie dogs are just a few of the hunting opportunities our guides can lead you to. Visit our hunting page!
- Jet Ski Rentals- Want to play around on the water?! Rent a jet ski from Cedar Shore (605-734-6376) or Maverick’s Equipment Rentals (605-734-1100) and get wet!
- Ladies Great Escape- Just for the girls. This annual event which takes place at Cedar Shore Resort, showcases anything a woman can want plus a fashion show! Everything is under one roof!
- Lawnmower Races- WHAT?!?! Looking for something on Saturday night? Head over to Pukwana for the riding lawnmower races. The Crazy Racers fire up their engines and race around the track. Visit their Facebook Page!
- Lewis & Clark Interpretive Center- The state of the art rest area and information center is a traveler’s favorite. From the 55 foot replica keelboat, to the interpretive panels the center provides a history lesson for Lewis & Clark’s journey through South Dakota. If you’re looking to stretch your legs a bit, follow one of the trails that overlooks the Missouri River. The Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center is at the Chamberlain rest area on Interstate 90 between Exits 263 and 265.
- Lewis & Clark Trail Markers- You can scavenger hunt around the towns and find the trail markers. One is located at the Oacoma Park. Can you find the other?
- Library- The Cozard Memorial Library offers a different rest for the traveler. With a summer reading program, book sales, and internet access; it provides a nice, quiet place to curl up with a good book. Visit http://www.cozard.org/ for more information on hours and the services available.
- Lode Star Casino- The Lode Star Casino is located in Fort Thompson, 20 minutes north of Chamberlain, on the west side of the river. They offer food, gambling and entertainment. Contact 605-245-6000 for any questions!
- Manicure & pedicure at one of our fine salons. Pamper yourself with a manicure and/or a pedicure.
- Feed the Ducks at the American Creek Marina - right off the shore. There are even geese and once in a while a swan will come and enjoy a snack!
- Mighty Mo Car Show- Ladies, treat the man in your life to a man’s weekend for their Father’s Day. The third Saturday of June is the Mighty Mo Car.
- Native American Scenic Byway- As you pass through the green-gold hills of this Byway, its many memorial markers, monuments, museums and sacred sites commemorate the heritage of the Sioux Nation and help you hear history from the Native American point of view.
- Need to get your workout in while in Chamberlain? Visit River City Fitness. Located on Clemmer Ave, River City Fitness has all of your fitness and tanning needs. View their webpage.
- Oak by Amish- Oak by Amish, etc. is located in the heart of Chamberlain. Providing the Amish with a store front to sell their handcrafted oak pieces and South Dakota Made Products.
- Parade of Homes- Every December the Sparkle Committee hosts a tour of area houses to showcase their holiday decorations.
- Parade of Lights- Black Friday is not so dark in Chamberlain! The day after Thanksgiving, the Chamberlain-Oacoma Area Chamber of Commerce hosts a chili feed followed by the Parade of Lights.
- Picnicking- Choose from one of our many parks to have a picnic with your family. Contact Dave Schwartz at 605-234-4420 for park information.
- Powwow's- There are several powwow held throughout the area. St. Joe’s Indian School, Lower Brule Tribe, Crow Creek Tribe and also Chamberlain High School Indian Club all put on annual powwow events. During the event there may be a naming ceremony and a wiping of the tears ceremony for those lost in the past year.
- Race on the River- Competitive and non-competitive runners and walkers of all ages are welcome! The Race on the River includes a 10k and a 5k race/walk and a 1 mile Fun Run/Walk. There is also a kid’s race.
- Relay 4 Life- The one time your mom will actually let you stay up all night long! A night filled with games, raffles and a lot of walking with proceeds going to the American Cancer Society.
- River City Band Festival- more than 20 bands from a 200 mile radius gather in Chamberlain, SD to compete in street competition and field competition.
- River Kids Fest @ Cedar Shore- A party for the kids!
- Roam Free Park- What a view! Roam Free Park is a hiking/walking trail formed along the bluffs overlooking the Missouri River featuring the plant and animal life that exists within the area.
- Rodeos- Experience authentic cowboys as they rope, wrangle and ride some of the fiercest animals.
- SD Hall of Fame- Do you know any famous people from South Dakota? Take a stroll down the Walk of Fame and see who you recognize. Learn about the people who have made South Dakota what it is today. Visit their webpage for more info!
- Water skiing- Skiing has been one of the most popular activities to do on the river.
- Soccer Field- Schoenhard Field is home to the Chamberlain soccer field.
- Softball Games- Throughout the summer Chamberlain is host to many softball games. We have men and women’s leagues. There are several area ball fields.
- St. Joe's Fishing Spot- a very hidden treasure that provides some of the best fishing off the rocks. You just drive through the campus back to the “honey hole”!
- St. Joseph's Indian School Powwow- St. Joseph's Indian School has hosted this weekend of Lakota culture and heritage since 1976, and we're proud to share the festivities with friends like you from around the nation.
- Stagecoach Park- A small park right on Main Street, Stagecoach Park includes a stagecoach pulled by four colorful horses. It is completed with murals of the county jail and general store painted on the side of the neighboring buildings.
- State Theatre- Located on Main Street and equipped with over 12,000 titles to choose from, you can find the movie you are looking for at the State Theatre.
- Swimming Pool- If you don’t want to swim in the river, try our local pool, with diving boards, lifeguards and even a baby pool.
- Taco night- Double time! Taco Night is held most Wednesday nights at Al’s Last Chance Saloon. Cedar Shore also has a complimentary Taco Night which is held every Thursday.
- Taxidermy- Get that trophy from the field mounted so you can always remember your hunt in South Dakota! We have numerous taxidermists who will make that memory last.
- The Quilt Shop- It’s just like Grandma’s house. The Quilt Shop, located on Main Street, is full of quilts and different material available to make your own. They also have quilting classes.
- Thunderstik- Want a breathtaking view of the river for your next event? Try Thunderstik Lodge, it is not only for hunting! Visit their website, http://www.thunderstik.com/, for complete info.
- Tour of St. Joe's- You can have a guided tour of St. Joe’s Indian School. Just call 1-800-983-0822 ahead to reserve your time.
- Tours of the Dam- Go to Fort Thompson and get a tour of the dam.
- Tractor Museum in Kimball- Go and see how the pioneers of the west used to farm. The Tractor Museum in Kimball has antique farm equipment on display.
- Trap Shooting- Perfect your shot at the Trap Range in Oacoma.
- Triathlon- Try your athletic ability at our Triathlon. The race course is a beautiful, challenging out and back course. ¼ mile swim, 12 mile bike and a 5 k run. It will be sure to test your limits!
- Tubing- For those of us that can’t quite figure out how to stay up on those skis, try tubing. Even kids can do it!
- UPS Store- If you need to ship that one of a kind souvenir back home, take advantage of the UPS Store on the North edge of Chamberlain. Additional info, call 605-234-3767.
- Wakeboarding- Just one more thing to do on the river!
- The Picket Fence- Located on Main Street, Chamberlain is proud to be home to the 2006 & 2007 Floral Designer of the year. Be sure to stop in and see what treasure’s you can find! View their webpage.
- The Derby Coffeehouse- Located on Main Street, The Derby Coffeehouse serves up a good cup of coffee, cappuccino or a tasty dinner. Friday Night - best cuts of prime rib or rib eye you can find. Saturday Pizza- have a taste of the only flat bread pizza in town. Saturday Pizza at the Derby is unforgettable. View their Facebook Page for daily specials and more!
October 29 CES Parent/Teacher Conferences 4-6pm
October 30 School Dismissal at 2pm, Parent/Teacher Conferences 230-7pm
October 31 No School
October 31 Halloween, no school for CDS
November 11 Veteran’s Day
November 14 & 15 CHS Fall Play @ OCC 7:30pm
November 15 Sanford Holiday Extravaganza Cedar Shore 6:30pm
November 24 Stocking Stuffer Promotion begins
November 27th Happy Thanksgiving!
November 28th Downtown Chili Supper 4:30pm Parade of Lights 7pm
Get Ready for Thanksgiving and Christmas Promotions!